Saturday, April 2, 2011

Living life on my own terms

“Beep beep….beep beep…..beep beep” the alarm clock goes off destroying the peace and silence mercilessly. Its 6 AM. For the –th time (I have lost the count actually. But I know the figure is a BIG one) I snap out of an awesome dream on the most interesting turn.


DAMN IT@#$*


I instantly reach out, kill the alarm and fall back on my bed. My speed of the act can easily out beat a puff adder – the snake known to have the fastest striking speed. I try to bring the dream back. But its just gone, as always. I throw a ‘Cyclops look’ at the clock again. But instead of burning down to ash it just stands still and tells me its 6:15!!!.


Reluctantly, I sit up; and fight my way to the edge of the bed which at that time displays twice or thrice the gravitational pull (3G). Sitting there, I get in a meditative stage. That point where you are neither awake or asleep. When there are so many things in your head, but you don’t think. I don’t know how long I stay that way. I look at the clock again – 6:45!!!


MAN, this is surely time traveling!!


Time to rush now. Though each and every cell in my body wants to go back to bed, I can’t. Have to reach office at 7:30.


I push through the daily routines mechanically and zoom on my bike @ 7:20. I like to ride my bike at leisure. But I cant. Coz its getting late. I like to enjoy the cool breeze in my face. But I cant. Coz I have to put on a helmet.


I reach office. Mails, prints, letters, fax, challans, bills, scans………. I feel like a first version of a cyborg. I want to pull off the power plug of the pc and sit back and relax having a one liter cup of coffee. But I cant.


Waiting eagerly for lunch hour, I look at the clock. But I discover that it has been only 5 mins. Since I last checked the time which to me seems like a year ago. Wondering why do I loose my time traveling ability in the office, I dig in work.


1:00 at last!!! The lunch hour. The time to break free. I take out my Tiffin not with hunger but sheer joy. But I cant have lunch yet. Coz my boss calls me saying he wants me to prepare a very urgent letter and mail it to him. I fall back in my chair.


30 mins. Later, I’ve eaten my lunch and back on my chair. I feel terribly sleepy, but I cant sleep. Have to work.


Finally 5:30. The moment when I gain independence. I rush straight to my bike praying that my boss doesn’t call me with something urgent to finish. And I get lucky.


I want to go to see an old friend. On the way, my wife calls. She gives me a list of the groceries and provisions I need to buy with immediate effect, today itself. I cant go to see my friend.


I reach home with all the things, freshen up and ask for a cup of ginger tea.


Wife says its too late, better wait for sometime and have dinner. So I don’t get the tea.


Post dinner, I put the national geographic channel to watch one of my favorite automobile show. The host comes up, “Today we are gonna check out the most awaited new version of……”


The channel suddenly changes. I look around for the cause and find it to be my wife. Its time for her serial. So I don’t get to watch the show.


I move to my room. I turn on the computer and connect to the internet.


I login to facebook and read my status.


“LIVING LIFE ON MY OWN TERMS…..”

1 comment:

Jay Bhatt said...

First of all, an excellent and gripping write up. Secondly, I can see you slowly getting into the groove of a new phase of life. Which also denominates you as the first version of cyborg, well I guess you're right...Ha ha ha..

Never the less the tagline would always say "Living the life on my own terms"